Monday 16 March 2015

Introspection



The two and a half months spent in this course have opened me up to the value of teaching as a formative profession. I noticed how much value you can bring to a student’s academia but also their personal development as well. At first I was rather resigned regarding the mentoring portion of this course. I have realized over the course of the first semester that teaching may not be my vocation… yet. By this I mean that I am certain that I will not become a teacher in the near-future though am unsure about my long-term career objective. At this point I can say with certainty that I will not be jumping right into this profession. While afflicted by this hesitation over for Christmas holidays and the first weeks in January, there was a feeling inside of me that drove me to pursue the degree regardless. 

I found the mentoring experience was enlightening and gratifying. I was able to develop a meaningful relationship with the student and he seems to have incorporated much of my insight into his writing processes. On a personal level I found the experience built up my confidence as an individual as well as my voice as a mentor/teacher. It made me realize that instead of seeing a difficult situation and shying away from it, viewing every challenge as an opportunity for growth will inevitably make the experience positive, rewarding, and meaningful. 

The entire journey through this course, as well as the program as a whole, as been a humbling experience. 


No comments:

Post a Comment