Friday 20 February 2015

Quotes and Thoughts

 “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” - Friedrich Nietzsche 

Upon first having encountered this quotation I realized that each of us in this world need to act and be who they are - remaining true to themselves. Often we suppress our behaviors for fear of how others will view and judge us. There is always a rationale for everyone's behavior and one should always dance to their music regardless of the stares or judgments of others. 

"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus

During my undergraduate degree I took a seminar on Marxism. This course opened my mind to the philosophical concept of communism and provided me with an intellectual foundation upon which to criticize capitalist society. I believe that modelling behavior that challenges the status quo is the best way to teach others to live freely. I used to abide fully by this saying, though with the challenges I have recently encountered I have found it difficult to uphold this in my day-to-day. As I continue through my recovery and rediscover my self, I constantly reiterate this saying in my mind as a reminder of the purpose of being on this earth and in this day and age.


“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”- Mahatma Gandhi

This iteration is another tenant of my philosophy. The best way to challenge the "system" in our world is to live in a different way than it demands. In terms of teaching, this quotation speaks to the modelling role played by teachers. In general terms, it means living against the grain; eating natural foods (not commercialized junk), developing a home grown vegetable garden to keep in touch with the earth and self-sustenance, being social and empathetic (not closed off, compartmentalized and individualized as consumer society dictates). The way commercial society is moving is unsustainable and unnatural; grassroots change is the only means of resistance and being a part of that change is essential for purposeful existence.





 

 


19 comments:

  1. These are beautiful quotations and important thought Richard! Thank you for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Nietzsche quote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you went in depth with what these quotes mean to you and your practice. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the connection between the photo and your title!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a wonderful way of expressing yourself as a teacher through your blog! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choice of quotes! I like them a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Ghandi quote is a favourite of mine as well and in fact it was the mantra of my children's school principal - he quoted it every morning during announcements.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your Gandhi quote. Thank you for adding these to your blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the connections you make to the quotations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the connections you make to the quotations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the quote by Gandhi! I also really liked your comparison between climbing and writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the quotes! It would def be a great thing to have as visuals around the classroom

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nietzsche quotes. Always rock-solid and I would be that there is a lot of power in them for speaking to some of the more silent voices in your classroom. Also powerfully taken out of context historically, being heralded as a champion (after he had died and lost any ability to argue conversely) by the Nazis and for this reason neglected by generations of Western scholars. All this to say that the quote can be the starting point for so many interesting conversations with students.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nietzsche quotes. Always rock-solid and I would be that there is a lot of power in them for speaking to some of the more silent voices in your classroom. Also powerfully taken out of context historically, being heralded as a champion (after he had died and lost any ability to argue conversely) by the Nazis and for this reason neglected by generations of Western scholars. All this to say that the quote can be the starting point for so many interesting conversations with students.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the blog title and your writing metaphor!

    ReplyDelete